Personal injury lawyer (solicitor) in Cardiff
When someone is injured in an accident that wasn’t their fault, it’s not just the short-term physical injury that can affect their life. For example, a victim’s quality of life may have changed for the worst, their ability to work may have been affected and they could even find themselves in financial difficulty because of their injuries.
Occupier’s of buildings or land have what is known as a ‘duty to care for visitors’ safety, so if your accident took place in a public place, such as Cardiff’s Bute Park, or a local shopping or leisure centre, then you could make a compensation claim against their public liability.
For the most helpful advice and guidance for making your compensation claim, you will need a personal injury solicitor…
Choosing a personal injury solicitor
A personal injury solicitor will be able to help with working out what you may be entitled to and how to go about gaining evidence for a successful case. Also, most solicitors will offer you a free first meeting, which will provide you with all the basic information to start your claim.
There are a number of different ways to find a personal injury solicitor, these include:
- Looking for a law firm that specialises in your particular type of injury or accident.
- Searching on Google for personal injury solicitor’s in your local area.
- Getting recommendations from friends and family.
It’s important that you have trust and confidence in your legal representation and feel comfortable with them, so it’s a good idea to make a shortlist to work out which one will be the best for you.
Here are a few questions that you should ask your personal injury solicitor in your first meeting:
- If they work on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis. This includes making sure that this includes their expenses. If in this case you do win, they may take a specific percentage of your compensation, which you should try to find out in more detail.
- Do they specialise in your type of personal injury? As there are so many different types of accidents, claims and injuries, it would be recommended that you had someone who was an expert in your type of claim.
- Do they have a lot of trial experience? This may not necessarily be a bad thing, as it may mean that they are a good negotiator, and are able to successfully settle agreements outside of court. This is something to delve into.
- How much compensation they would expect to claim for? Even if this is a ballpark figure based on the information they have so far.
- How much insurance they would expect you to take out? This covers the other party’s costs if they lose and how much this will cost you.
Once you have found out all the essential information needed for you to feel confident in your personal injury solicitor, you can then decide whether the particular company would suit you and your needs.
You can then build up and sign an agreeable commercial contract that both you and your solicitor mutually agree on.
If you have found this page helpful, you may also be interested in our Personal Injury Solicitors in Bristol page.